Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Is lacrosse a violent sport?

According to the US lacrosse website, “violence is neither condoned nor allowed.” But if that were entirely true how could it be any fun? I love lacrosse for the aggressiveness and agility that it requires. I think the most important attributes are intelligence, speed, coordination and aggression. But lacrosse teaches you how to try your best and do hard things and that is what makes it so much fun.
I remember the first day of try outs freshman year, (my 1st time ever playing lacrosse) the ambulance came to pick up two players for being stupid. I thought, "Man lacrosse is a violent sport!" (Something about illegal cross-check from behind.) Statistically, however, it isn’t any more dangerous than football, hockey, boxing or basketball. This was the only ambulance we saw in 4 years.
At practice we would do 2 on 1s and 3 on 2 ball down drills. The best is when in the 2 on 1 both players yell ‘man’ instead of having one yell ball, and the guy in the middle gets turned into a sandwich. This is about as violent or as fun as it gets.
Lacrosse is the only sport I know of where you can knock someone out of bounds with the ball and get a turnover.
The truth is that although there is some aggression and violence. The pads should protect you and it is very rare to see a serious injury. Now that I am older, I would not have any trouble allowing my children to play this sport and I look forward to the opportunity I will soon have to be their coach!

No comments: